- Nature Deficit Disorder discussions, hosted by Sheridan Steele in Bar Harbor
- Following these meetings a core interest group formed to continue the discussion
- Interest group coalesced into what became known as the Take it Outside initiative
- This group organized the “Governor’s Conference on Youth and the Natural World”
- Take It Outside events hosted at state parks throughout the state.
- Interest group continues the discussion about need for an initiative with broader reach.
- Post conference momentum is maintained by a small core of the original interest group.
- AMC allocates resources to the initiative in the form of a portion of time from new position
- Momentum picks up. Multi sector survey regarding connecting people to nature distributed to identify new partners and opportunities for the initiative
- Dec. 2011-Meeting at LLBean with organizations identified through survey
- March 2012-Maine Outdoor Coalition officially formed
- March 2012-First Great Maine Outdoor Weekend
- Feb 2013-MOC Formalized Steering Committee
- Mar 2013-MOC begins work to develop strategic plan, mission, vision & operating procedures
- Jan 2014-MOC website, and membership outreach begins
WANT TO KNOW MORE?
Read our full history…